Friday, June 13, 2008

June 13 | I was born

Friday, the 13th. A superstitious day. A dangerous day. And periodically, my birthday. Though I wasn't born on a Friday, I have had the pleasure of celebrating my entrance into this world on Friday the 13th several times (one of you calendar fanatics can do the math on how many times). I cross the threshold of my 30s today. I can no longer say I am teetering on its brink - I have officially dove into its deep waters and am actually okay with it. But I'll save a long soliloquy on my thoughts about my age, how much better/worse it is than my 20s, my hopes and dreams for the future and other such nonsense, for another darker day.

Because today, I'm feeling good and I have one person to thank for that - my niece, Lola. Her nearly 5-year-old squeaky voice welcomed me with morning with a phone call:

"Happy Birthday Coco! This is Lola."

She proceeded to ask me what I asked my friends to give me for my birthday and suggested I have a Blues Clues party before quickly changing her mind and deciding I should have a Princess Birthday party instead so that I could have princess plates, princess balloons, and pink and purple cupcakes. I had to agree with her, that would be a great party. We chattered on about playing outside, her new puppy, and her upcoming birthday party which she is VERY excited about.

Conversations like that I guess make you feel okay about time passing and things changing. New people like Lola get to come into your life that way.

1 comment:

Louie said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SISTER!

Love Josh, Katie, Lola and Cash