Saturday, February 8, 2014

Book Review: The Namesake

The Namesake by J Lahiri
"Remember that you and I made this journey together to a place where there was nowhere left to go.” - The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri

I finished my first book of 2014...and I did it before January was even complete! I'm feeling pretty good about myself, I'm not gonna lie.

This was a great book to start out with. Not because it was uplifting. It's not the type of novel that motivates you to meet your goals for the year or makes you want to go out and adopt eight little puppies. But it did give me a new perspective on growing up and family dynamics. And new perspective is something I am interested in pursuing this year.

In an effort to be a more positive me in 2014, I am trying to take moments to better understand where other people are coming from. I've found that if I look for ways to look at life from the worldviews of others, it plays a big role in my being calmer, less critical and more positive. So a novel about Indian immigrants finding their way in America, raising children who they hope will both be better for being Americans while also expecting them to hold onto the Indian traditions they have little love for, is a perspective I find fascinating. I walked away from the novel with a new compassion for the struggles first generation children have.

You can read my complete book review on my Goodreads page. 

1 comment:

Barbara and Doug said...

Sounds like a excellent book. Becoming a parent truly tests one's ability to allow another person the space to create their own world view. I think it is a " life task" that requires buckets of love and patience.