Friday, February 14, 2014

Valentine's Day 2014: I Am Loved

Valentine's Day has never been one of my favorites. I spent my youth (like most girls) putting so much importance on the day, hoping a secret admirer would make himself known on this day meant for love and devotion. The flowers and cards received by others were just little pins stuck into my side reminding me that I was alone.

My parents (and grandparents) were both married on Valentine's Day. Weren't they cute?


I think this may have subconsciously made me put more importance than was normal on Valentine's Day. However the reality is most of my friends felt the same bit of sadness every year when this pink explosion of a holiday came around.

So over the years I went through the expected phases of emotions around Valentine's Day:

Hope
Pining
Depression
Loathing
Derision
Appreciation
Indifference

I wish I could go back and tell my adolescent self to relax. With or without a person, it's just a day.

Valentine's Day is cute. It's fun. It's an excuse to eat chocolate and wear pink. And I appreciate it as a day to remind the one's I love that I love them. Forced to say the words,  I am also forced to truly think about what those words mean and embrace them.

So rather than rail on how Valentine's Day should not be taken seriously, I am embracing the opportunity it provides me to contemplate all the love I have in my life.

Our Valentine's Cards from Eli. Yes, Eli chose a hippo wearing 'heart underwear' for daddy.
Flowers From Ben. I think this is hilarious because never can I imagine Ben calling me a "smoking fox" and yet this is exactly the kind of Valentine's Card I would have imagined he would pick out.

Eli's Valentine from Papa and Granny Wee


My Boy Likes Trucks

No comments: